Lakeside School, History
Upper School History Teacher
|Institution Type:||Preparatory School|
|Location:||Washington, United States|
Lakeside School, an independent coeducational day school located in North Seattle, Washington, is currently recruiting for an Upper School history position, starting late August, 2018. History teachers at Lakeside aim to broaden understanding, stimulate thoughtful reflection, and encourage insights into the experiences of all people. Our program provides a rigorous program with high support, using classroom time for discussion of texts and ideas. We are committed to a global approach at every level, believing that to prepare students for a 21st century world, there needs to be an appreciation of societies across place and time. Our two-year world history curriculum uses project based learning to engage students in the content and skills needed to successfully engage with a broad range of historical topics.
The teacher will report to the History & Social Sciences Department Head and the Upper School Director, and join a highly collaborative, innovative, and experienced faculty. Specific responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Teaching four sections of core courses in ancient and modern World History, upper-level electives, or a combination of these;
- Providing academic support for students outside of class time (answering homework questions, consulting with them about their writing, and the like), as needed;
- Collaborating and participating actively in the work of the department on innovative curriculum development, project-based learning, and assessment;
- Attending department and faculty meetings;
- Acting as an advisor for 8 to 10 Upper School students;
- Active participation in the life of the school community, which includes assuming at least one additional out of the classroom duty, such as advising a student club, joining a standing committee, or coaching.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Successful candidates will hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in history or a related field and will have a passion for history and for interacting with high school aged students, in and outside of the classroom.
- An advanced degree in history, particularly world history, is desired.
- At least three years of prior history or social studies teaching experience at the secondary level is expected; preference will be given to candidates with world history teaching experience.
- Experience with interdisciplinary study and/or teaching will be considered an asset.
- The candidate should be proficient with current educational technology, especially blended learning platforms and strategies.
Lakeside School is an equal opportunity employer seeking to diversify its workplace.
Apply at www.lakesideschool.org.