H-Net reviews editors have broad leeway in managing their networks’ review programs and schedules. However, there are a number of regular duties that all active and on-duty review editors are expected to carry out. These tasks are as follows:
Seek out and assign books for review.
- Check the Recommended queue for books recommended for your network. (Inventory > Browse Library, filter by list and status=Recommended.)
- Check the library for recently received books that you may wish to review. (Inventory > Browse Library, filter by list=Any, status=Unreserved.)
Maintain communication with reviewers and copyeditors
throughout the review process.
- Answer any reviewer questions promptly.
- To reach the H-Net book clerks about a book-related issue, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To reach the copy editors regarding a review issue, email email@example.com.
- To reach the Managing Editor regarding any other H-Net Reviews-related matter, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Edit and publish submitted reviews in a timely manner.
- Check in-progress reviews to make sure they are progressing as expected. (Reviews > My Reviews, filter by list and status.)
- Respond to copyeditor questions in TinyMCE and move reviews from ‘Review Editing’ to ‘Copy Editing’ status to proceed. (Reviews > My Reviews, filter by list and status=Review Editing.)
- Publish reviews from the Prepublication queue without excessive delay. (Reviews > My Reviews, filter by list and status=Prepublication.)
Keep track of book inventory.
- Check the status of requested and ordered books and alert clerks if books are taking longer than one month to arrive. (Inventory > Browse Library, filter by list and status=Ordered or Requested.)
- Check the status of reserved books and assign for review or set to Unreserved if a reviewer cannot be found. (Inventory > Browse Library, filter status=Reserved.)
Please contact the appropriate staff for help with any H-Net Reviews-related matter.Book Clerks: email@example.com or 517-432-5134
Copyeditors, Basia Nowak and Charlotte Weber: firstname.lastname@example.org
Managing Editor, Yelena Kalinsky: email@example.com or 517-353-5223
Vice President for Publications, Robert Cassanello: firstname.lastname@example.org